From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 07:24:04
1 New thread, since the topic wandered from what it was on the old one.
2
3 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 d257c3560811221559h2762345eq6e13c03bf0e6588@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 below, on Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:59:53 +0000:
6
7 > 2008/11/22 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
8
9 >> FWIW, I tried the kde3 krandr-tray applet and it appears to be
10 >> outdated, only handling randr-1.0 commands. I suppose kde4 has an
11 >> updated version with the 1.1 and 1.2 commands. I do have kde4 merged
12 >> now, but it's still broken in enough ways I don't use it for everyday
13 >> yet.
16 > well, the system-settings one seems to work quite well for me. it's true
17 > that dual head is a little tricky with kde (most of the time makes
18 > plasma crash without setting the dual head). also i'm using the 4.2
19 > development brach (plaudis kdebuild overlay) that seems to be
20 > a little better in terms of usability and functionality than the portage
21 > 4.1.3 version.
22
23 Yes. I think their choice of versioning sucked. For quite some time I
24 and others have argued 4.0 should have been 3.8 (developer base and
25 technology preview for 4.0), 4.1 should have been 3.9 (public release
26 preview for 4.0), and what is 4.2 should finally make the first decent
27 4.x full release, what should have been 4.0.
28
29 But all that and just how far it's going to deflate KDE's momentum has
30 been rehashed and rehashed over and over in the various blogs and
31 Internet forums. Meanwhile, we have the versioning we have.
32
33 I've chosen not to try the not-full-releases since I gave up on the betas
34 earlier. Additionally... well let's just put it this way, paludis, no
35 way, no how, so that has been another encouragement not to do the KDE SVN
36 stuff since the Gentoo/KDE folks started requiring paludis for it. Thus,
37 I'm sticking with 4.1.x since that's what's released.
38
39 But with 4.1, once I got the dual panels setup correctly with randr, it
40 hasn't been a problem. It was a problem with earlier 4.x and the merged
41 framebuffer, and 4.1 doesn't seem to take well to them changing on it,
42 but once I got xorg.conf setup to use randr to layout the dual panels as
43 I wanted when it started, 4.1 was able to handle it after that.
44
45 But you're right on plasma. It still isn't working quite right, in
46 general. It's supposed to let one zoom the desktops, and I can sort of
47 do that, but once they get zoomed out, getting them to zoom back in
48 /reliably/ has been a problem. Sometimes plasma crashes, sometimes they
49 zoom in but only on one panel's display, sometimes they zoom in but get
50 stuck half on and half off the display... it's a mess!
51
52 Add that to the fact that I haven't seen a working ksysguard panel applet
53 or the like for 4.x yet. (ksysguard works, but I need something I can
54 put always on top at the top of the combined display, without anything
55 else ending up underneath it... like it works when set as a panel applet
56 in kde3.)
57
58 Add /that/ to the fact that khotkeys seems to be broken, or at least
59 trying to assign anything but default hotkeys to anything fails to work,
60 AND that khotkeys is the main way I launch stuff in kde3.
61
62 Add /that/ to the fact that most of the fancy new effects require opengl,
63 they don't work with composite and etc, the other option, but
64 unfortunately they don't disable or otherwise indicate the ones that
65 don't work, and opengl is limited to 2048x2048 on the radeon 92xx series
66 and I'm running 1920x2400 so opengl doesn't work well, or at all in the
67 lower 352 px of display, and kde4 has so far been too broken to seriously
68 use.
69
70 Hopefully with 4.2 enough of that is fixed to at least be worth working
71 around the issues that may remain.
72
73 >> So I scripted up a solution using xrandr, put the entries in my kmenu,
74 >> and can use them to switch resolutions. But there's still a problem.
75 >> The origin coordinates portion appears to be broken, so when I
76 >> downgrade resolution, the viewport is always the upper left portion of
77 >> the full size version. There's no mouse panning with randr yet (that's
78 >> supposed to be added for xorg-server 1.5.3 or possibly later if what I
79 >> read is correct), and with origin coordinates broken at least on the
80 >> radeon driver on my hardware, upper left (still stacked at least, but
81 >> still just upper left) is all I get, and that's not very practical.
82 >>
83 > if you could post the script it would be interesting.
84
85 I'll post the script in a separate reply...
86
87 >> The point being that yes, dual-panel works with the freedomware xf86
88 >> ati/ radeon driver, at least for my hardware, once it's configured to
89 >> do so. However, there are some limitations.
90 >>
91 > i'll try out to see these days how the fglrx driver works with dual
92 > head. i've read that it does behave in quite a good manner. also,
93 > now that it has uvd and basic xvmc included i could also think to go
94 > back with it. the only problem is xorg compatibility.
95
96 As you know I won't even consider the proprietary drivers, here. I had
97 my fill with nVidia, and vowed never again. Plus, every time xorg adds
98 something new, it's the proprietaryware folks that hold it back, by
99 months, nearing a year sometimes, from stabilizing. I /do/ believe KDE
100 got it right on that one, not waiting up for nVidia to catch up, simply
101 telling folks using the nvidia driver that they'd have a seriously broken
102 experience due to their choice of hardware and proprietaryware driver
103 that couldn't keep up.
104
105 As for ATI/Radeon, at some point the new freedomware drivers should in
106 general catch up, now that AMD has opened the specs. I've been waiting,
107 as I'd really like to upgrade this 9200. Apparently the r5xx chips have
108 a 4096x4096 virtual 3D area, and it'll be nice getting dual DVI dual-
109 link, too, instead of settling for the single single-link DVI and single
110 analog that my current 92xx series has.
111
112 >> We should probably start a new thread on that if people want to discuss
113 >> the config and how I got it to work.
114 >>
115 > this would be really interesting.
116
117 That'll be another post as well.
120 Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program
121 has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master."
122 Richard Stallman