From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] JRE - how to install one?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:23:53
1 I'm trying to create a database in Open Office, which of course on ~amd64 is
2 the binary version. When I tell it to create a new database it tells me it
3 can't find a JRE, and please to restart OOo after installing one. So I go
4 to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml and follow the instructions to
5 install virtual/jre. That installs several things, including
6 dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.08, but not a JRE. So I install
7 dev-java/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.08-r1 as well and try OOo again, with the same
8 result. So next I run java-config to set the VM first to the JDK and then
9 to the JRE, but still OOo can't find a JRE.
10
11 Each re-installation of JRE or JDK ends with an error:
14 !!! Error:
15 Expected "/usr/share/java-config-2/nsplugin/sun-jdk-1.5-javaplugin.so" to
16 exist, but it doesn't.
17 !!! Error: Perhaps "sun-jdk-1.5" isn't a valid name of VM built with
18 nsplugin?
21 Creating /usr/share/java-config-2/nsplugin/ manually doesn't help either.
22
23 What am I doing wrong?
26 Rgds
27 Peter