From: "Thomas Rösner" <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System load during emerge
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:33:01
1 Hi,
2
3 Peter Humphrey schrieb:
4 > I'm watching the emerge of mozilla-firefox with top (I've just set the java
5 > USE flag so that I can use some astronomy Web sites), and I'm puzzled. This
6 > is a dual-Opteron box with 4G memory, and I have it set up with 6G /tmp
7 > mounted on tmpfs. Top shows 0k of used swap, so I'm confident that I'm not
8 > doing any swapping. It should show me a total of up to 200% when the system
9 > is fully loaded.
10 >
11 > But top shows 49 - 50% wa, which I understand is I/O waiting time (even with
12 > the X term rolled up), cc1plus is showing only single-digit percent CPU,
13 > and the System and User CPU % are in the teens. I can get X to use 30-odd %
14 > by leaving the terminal on display, or 1% by rolling it up; that seems not
15 > to affect the other figures. No other user processes are running; only the
16 > background processes started by init and so on. What is the machine doing?
17 > Why does it not work harder at its allotted task?
18
19 What are your MAKEOPTS set to? Are you sure firefox can be built in
20 parallel? Depending on how long lived the g++ processes are, top showing
21 low CPU percentage for them is quite normal.
22
23 If nothing helps, try compiling inside a screen session.
24
25 Regards,
26 Thomas
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list