From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Planning a new box - AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:25:48
2 > Well, I've been looking at the new Barcelona Opteron 2300 series,
3 > which have 4 cores each & can be used in dual socket motherboards, for
4 > a total of 8 cores in the system. The 2 or 4 cores in an Athlon X2
5 > system really would be sufficient for my needs, but then my current box
6 > is still pretty much sufficient for my needs. This new box I'm
7 > planning is more about my wants, and I look at 8 cores & think "I want!"
8 >
9 > About registered vs. unbuffered memory, my understanding is that for
10 > systems w/ lots of memory (more than 4 GiB), the registers are a Good
11 > Thing(tm). I don't really understand the electrical engineering behind
12 > how memory & memory controllers work, so I don't claim to really grok
13 > why registered memory is so important in systems w/ lots of RAM, but
14 > since I'm planning on loading it with 8 or 16 GiB, I was planning on
15 > going with registered anyway.
18 in this case opterons are better...
21 > Interesting, most of what I've heard about Tyan has been really good.
22 > Is there something specific about Tyan that's been a problem for you?
23 > I've also heard good things about Gigabyte, but Tyan really seemed to
24 > stand out as excellent. The two dual-socket F Gigabyte boards on
25 > NewEgg are cheaper than the Tyans I've been considering, but
26 > unfortunately they don't support the new Barcelona Opterons, and I'd
27 > have to wait for new versions to be released. But then the Tyan
28 > motherboard I liked best is in the same situation, w/ a new
29 > Barcelona-compatible version expected later this month. I'll keep the
30 > Gigabytes in mind.
33 i've had some problems with a tyan mobo which has died in less than 1 week.
34 i've changed it and the second died in 3 days and after the second has died
35 i had returned the mobo and requested the money back and then went with a
36 gigabyte. thus, this wasn't in a high-level system, but on a middle one. so
37 i don't have any experience with high level systems.
40 > I am thinking I'll probably go w/ an ATI video card, since I'm fairly
41 > excited about the driver talk that's been going around. Although one
42 > thing I happened to find during my research for this box, nVidia is
43 > significantly more energy efficient.
44 > <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000662.html>
47 not true, for what i know. the new nvidias consume more power than radeons.
48 also, if you buy a gigabyte one which is totally passive its energy
49 consumption is very low. then ati has the powerplay wihch also works with
50 the fglrx, for what i know. if you need more info on the powerplay see how
51 it works on the amd's site.
52
53 RAM I mentioned above. Hard disk space was actually the main thing
54 > that's prompting this new box, as I'm filling up all my current disks.
55 > I eventually plan on filling the case w/ as many hard disks as it can
56 > fit, probably at least 10+. This box is going to be my home fileserver
57 > for a long time to come. But for starters I'm thinking I'll get 3x
58 > 1TiB in RAID5, and then grow the RAID as it fills up & drive prices
59 > drop. This will be my first time setting up RAID, I'm planning on
60 > following the HOWTO_Setup_fully_crypted_Gentoo_on_EVMS in the
61 > gentoo-wiki.
62 >
63 > It is going to be quite expensive, but I'm sure my family & friends
64 > won't mind me getting myself a Christmas present instead of them (j/k -
65 > I've been saving for a while, and I can afford it along w/ holiday
66 > gifts).
69 lucky you.... a similar system should go on around 4000-5000€....
70
71 ps. what would be its use?!?!
74 dott. ing. beso