From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:02:59
1 Hello,
2
3 Lately I have been experiencing a strange problem. Under X my USB keyboard
4 will suddenly stop working. If I press some keys they will not appear in an
5 X console or in any other application. There is no warning. It just
6 will sporadically stop working. Usually, if I wait for several minutes
7 the keys will start working again.
8
9 Fortunately, the USB mouse will continue to function normally during these
10 episodes. If I then immediately shutdown X using some mouse clicks, I will
11 again have a working keyboard. Also, the last few keys I had pressed before
12 shutting down X will appear in my console. This would mean that the key
13 presses are detected and placed into the buffer but somehow the X applications
14 do not receive them.
15
16 I cannot pinpoint the start of this behavior to any specific system changes,
17 but I suspect that the latest nvidia-drivers may be the source of the problem.
18 The problem seems to coincide with one of the several nvidia updates, but
19 this is still a guess.
20
21 My system is updated daily and I use only the Fvwm window manager (no Gnome or K).
22
23 How can I debug this further? Both the kernel log and the X log show nothing
24 whatever.
25
26 Frank Peters