From: Yuval Hager <yuval@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Botting with vesafb under 2.6.22-gentoo-r2
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:58:41
1 On Saturday 18 August 2007, Yuval Hager wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've just upgraded to gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, and found that the vesafb I
5 > used to have with my 2.6.18 does not work anymore. The boot line I had
6 > before had '...vga=791 video=vesafb', but now it does'nt work at all (gives
7 > my a blank screen at boot).
8 >
9 > I googled it up a little but found no definitive answer. I've done all as
10 > written in the guides and wiki, but it still doesn't work. I must be
11 > missing something, since I guess it's quite basic...
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 >
15 > --yuval
16
17 Replying to my own post..
18
19 I am using Nvidia card and VESA support has to NOT be compiled in the kernel
20 according to all nvidia gentoo guides, if I want to use nvidia driver for
21 X11. Using this settings, it is quite obvious why I could not get it to work.
22 I am not sure why it worked for 2.6.18, but it is not for 2.6.22.
23
24 I finally solved this using the latest kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3, and uvesafb
25 (http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/). I followed the installation
26 instructions in the above link, and it worked without a flaw.
27
28 Thanks!
31 Yuval Hager
32 [T] +972-77-341-4155