From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Gnome 2.12... to 2.14... on X11 v7!
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 04:43:13
1 "Christopher E" <sensory.access@×××××.com> posted
2 184c54640605110628x5cfdf346wa98eb487bd20aac9@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 11 May 2006 09:28:22 -0400:
4
5 > OK, seeing that this seemsto be a workable setup, which order would
6 > you do this in.
7 >
8 > I notice that the new verion of gnome pulls in things of x11 but I
9 > don't know if this is for the newer X11 or a older X11.
10
11 In general, it doesn't much matter. Portage's dependency tracking sorts
12 it all out for you. Of course, that depends on the dependencies in the
13 ebuild being correct -- occasionally they aren't -- but a bad dependency
14 is a bug and should be processed as such, not the normal behavior.
15
16 Here, I do an emerge --sync and then an emerge --newuse --update --deep
17 (with the requisite --pretend to see what it's going to do first) several
18 times a week, so everything is routinely updated, and when a new version
19 of whatever comes out, it doesn't force updating of much else, because
20 everything else was already updated when its update first came out. The
21 --deep is the critical parameter there, as it tells portage to update not
22 just the stuff in the world file, but all dependencies thereof, as well.
23 Since I do it nearly daily, there's never a big backlog of packages to
24 merge, since I'm always caught up. The exception is things like a new
25 kde release, where all the kde-base packages get updated at once and
26 there's typically over a hundred individual packages to update. However,
27 that's just the way a kde release works, and at least I don't have much
28 /else/ to update then because everything else is upto date already.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list