From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Load NTLDR from GRUB?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:57:31
1 Mathieu Seigneurin <mseigneurin@×××××××.fr> posted
2 200710281300.58224.mseigneurin@×××××××.fr, excerpted below, on Sun, 28
3 Oct 2007 13:00:58 +0100:
4
5 > I believe the partition number is not really important, as long as: -
6 > the partition is set as bootable (grub might be able to do that
7 > automagically)
8
9 Agreed. (Set as bootable means one of the first four partitions, since
10 that's the number that fits in the MBR. At least the MS boot loader and
11 related files must therefore be on one of those, tho the main system can
12 be elsewhere.)
13
14 > - all the win boot files reside fully inside the first 1024 cylinders of
15 > the drive (so preferably: the partition itself should start and end in
16 > those first 1024 cyls.)
17
18 I know that used to be the case with W9x, but does eXPrivacy still have
19 the 1024 cylinder limitation? If so, that's surprising. I'd have
20 thought that would have changed with eXPrivacy at least.
21
22 The 1024 limitation, if it still exists, might explain why it's reported
23 working for some, but not others, however. <shrug>
24
25 > or something to that effect.
26
27 =8^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list