From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:22:06
1 On Tuesday 24 October 2006 00:12, Duncan wrote:
4 > > and rebuilt EVERYTHING that was built against the new glibc! Every
5 > > single app, every lib, everything. You miss something and you will
6 > > suffer.
7 >
8 > Actually, I was expecting issues, but haven't had any so far but one,
9 > easily fixed. As you mentioned, the latest kernel didn't want to boot, so
10 > there again I backed up a couple notches and got a working one, but
11 > everything else I had merged since then, notably including all of KDE
12 > 3.5.5, merged against glibc-2.5, seems to be working great against
13 > glibc-2.4-r4, which as it happens was merged only a couple weeks earlier
14 > -- actually that's probably my saving grace or I'd likely have had more
15 > issues.
16
17 I had used some pre 2.5 glibcs. Updating to 2.5 did not work, because of
18 gcc-config problems - but one of the devs said, I should remove
19 overlay-software.. and come back after that. The onl overlay software was the
20 glibc.. so I downgraded - and everything fell apart.
21
22 As I said, no boot, because udev did not work. Half of the apps did not work.
23 Lots and lots of problems. I got it booting and halfway working, than read,
24 that it may be gcc-config related. It was.. so I did not had to rebuilt
25 everything, just emerged the 2.5 glibc.
26
27 But I will never ever again downgrade a glibc...
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list