From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please suggest settings and flags in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:06:40
1 On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > You might want to add "-march=" flag to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. See
5 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags
6 >
7 <SNIP>
11 >> Thanks,
12 >> Mark
15 >> processor       : 3
16 >> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
17 >> cpu family      : 6
18 >> model           : 37
19 >> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         661  @ 3.33GHz
20 <SNIP>
25 The Safe CFlags page doesn't list the Core i5 yet, but it does have
26 the Core i7 which came out a bit earlier.
27
28 For all of the following keep in mind that I don't plan on putting any
29 desktops or applications on this machine for a couple of days so the
30 compile load will be smaller until I get this worked out. I need to
31 read up on this Intel VGA to see if I'm going to stick with it and if
32 so how to get X11 to work with it.
33
34 My question is if I choose the flags shown below for the i7 am I
35 likely to render the machine unusable in any way? I'm not against
36 recompiling with other flags if these turn out to be less than optimum
37 at some later date, but I don't want to cause big problems.
38
39 Or, as Juan suggested I might try -march=native. However if I go that
40 way then I'm not sure yet whether I am supposed to turn on the
41 additional msse4/mcx16/msahf flags or whether =native does that
42 itself? I'm not using distcc so I don't think that's a problem and I
43 like the idea of =native for someone like me, but on the other hand I
44 don't generally like auto-magic sorts of solutions.
45
46 Anyway, if none of these will likely render the machine unusable and I
47 can do another emerge -e @system to change then it's no big deal. I
48 just compiled emerge -e @system - 137 packages - in a little over an
49 hour so doing it a few times is no big deal.
50
51 Thanks,
52 Mark
53
54 64 bit profile (amd64) - for >=sys-devel/gcc-4.3
55
56 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
57 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
58 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"