From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:49:43
1 On 06/12/2009 08:43 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 12 Juni 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 06/12/2009 07:58 PM, Beso wrote:
4 >>> finally, 4.3 will mark the removal of my old 3.5 installation. i think
5 >>> that for about 90% of people will be finally able to switch entirely to
6 >>> kde4. The apps are now mostly complete and the 3.5 apps that are still
7 >>> maintained have now been ported; plasma is ok and quite customizable,
8 >>> the backends are working well, with the exception of pulseaudio that is
9 >>> now having some problems with the phonon backend when used in conjuction
10 >>> with flash and old apps that lock directly the physical card, but i
11 >>> suspect that this is due to some configuration issue.
12 >> If you don't need networked sound, you can uninstall pulseaudio and alsa
13 >> and use oss4 (there's an ebuild). I did that and old programs who want
14 >> exclusive access to /dev/dsp work OK without locking the sound. KDE 4
15 >> works fine with using Xine backend. This will need putting "-alsa oss"
16 >> in make.conf though and a rebuild of all packages that use those flags.
17 >
18 > hm, I never met an app that blocked /dev/dsp cpmpletly in the last couple of
19 > years, could you name an example?
20
21 Everything, without even a single exception. I then switched to aRts
22 and ESD on top of ALSA for a couple of years. Before a year or so I
23 switched to OSS4 after it got GPLed since I prefer having just one audio
24 system instead of 3.