From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System died going from 2005.0 to 2005.1
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 05:26:52
1 On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:20, scotthathcock@×××××××.net wrote:
2 > My system has developed serious problems related to the emul libs.
3 > The advice given as a reply to my bug has made the system impossible
4 > to upgrade using emerge. It is possible the problem dates back to the
5 > 2004.3->2005.0 upgrade, I don't know.
6
7 I had a lot of problem upgrading from 2004.3, that made my system unable
8 to compile toolchain properly.
9
10 I experienced any kind of misterous erorrs and rebuilt my system many
11 times. In the end was a very very idiot error on my side. When it was
12 removed the upgrade was really smooth and following one to 2005.1 was
13 so even that I hardly noticed it...
14
15 Are you sure it don't wort a try? If you post any details maybe someone
16 can help without rebuilding from scratch; and, believe me, it's much
17 more instructive!
18
19 > Is there a way to build a "from scratch" 2005.1 system over the net
20 > without having to download and boot from a CD? Will it leave my user
21 > directories alone? The installation docs assume that you don't have a
22 > runnig gentoo system and start with a boot CD.
23
24 There are a lot of other possibilities...
25
26 In addition to other methods posted I would say you can do something
27 useful (depending on your problem) even without repartition...
28 Unpack a stage 3 in a folder, mount $PORTDIR $PKGDIR $DISTDIR on it,
29 update and then extract the packages tou need with quickpkg (if you set
30 buildpkg FEATURES in /etc/make.conf, it's faster).
31
32 When I lastly decided to rebuild my system I again used a rather
33 aggressive method:
34 make available two partition and rsync their contents. At this point
35 mount the one to upgrade, save /etc and unpack a stage3 over it
36 (overwrite files with same name), edit /etc files from saved one,
37 edit /etc/fstab and lilo or to boot from it, chroot into the new
38 partition and update lilo (lilo -v, I don't know what you have to do
39 with grub...). It's quite a dirty way, but it is really fast (rsync
40 just what is really needed)
41
42 Anyway I think the best thing to do is try here to debug you problem
43 before restart from scratch.
44
45 HTH...
46 Ciao
47 Francesco
50 Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
51 2005
52 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4325.37 Bogomips Total
53 aemaeth
54 --
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list