From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:36:33
1 Hi,
2 I'm wondering if anyone else is suffering the problems I am with
3 firefox-bin crashing a few times every day. It seems to be more or
4 less repeatable. After logging into Gnome for the first time if I have
5 two tabs and attempt to drag one tab to a different location then it
6 crashes. Not every time, but often. When I start firefox-bin a second
7 time it recognizes that it crashed, restarts the previous session, and
8 at this point it doesn't crash if I drag tabs around.
9
10 I have also had this happen multiple times hitting an Attach File
11 button in GMail.
12
13 I will say that this seems to have started roughly after the last
14 time I wrote to the list asking about Java & Flash support. I changed
15 a number of things at that time & I can go back and look them up if
16 folks think it's really involved. However this seems a strange thing
17 to blame on Java or Flash. That work is still in .bash_history so I
18 can at least get a rough idea of what I was doing if it seems
19 important.
20
21 There is little to configure for firefox-bin itself. I've attached
22 the emerge command for reference.
23
24 I've tried running firefox-bin in a terminal but I don't get any
25 info. I should probably learn how to use something like gdb but I'm
26 resistant.
27
28 Anyway, I'm mainly looking for ideas about what to consider looking
29 at to fix this. It's getting frustrating. It crashed 4 times
30 yesterday.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark
34
35 lightning ~ # emerge -pv mozilla-firefox-bin
36
37 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
38
39 Calculating dependencies... done!
40 [ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin-2.0.0.8
41 USE="-restrict-javascript" LINGUAS="-af -ar -be -bg -ca -cs -da -de
42 -el -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gu
43 -gu_IN -he -hu -it -ja -ka -ko -ku -lt -mk -mn -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn
44 -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr
45 -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
46
47 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
48 lightning ~ #
49 --
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list