From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: netmount and local
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 04:48:58
1 Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200701052258.43646.clip2@×××.de,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:58:41 +0100:
3
4 > can I safely remove netmount from runlevel "default"?
5 > and what exactly is in "local"?
6
7 Yes, you should be able to remove netmount. That's for if you have any
8 NFS or the like filesystems, which you apparently don't.
9
10 local contains whatever misc. stuff you want to put in it (by adding it
11 to /etc/conf.d/local), normally nothing, unless you've put something in it
12 to run. As such, you should be able to safely remove it from the list, but
13 it's not going to shorten your boot time but maybe a fraction of a second,
14 as it's normally empty. The idea is that it gives you somewhere to put
15 your own little scripts or whatever, so you can load them at boot without
16 having to create an entire boot service skeleton complete with the usual
17 service start, stop, restart, etc functions. Like I said, you can safely
18 remove it if you've put nothing in it, but it's not going to change your
19 bootup time noticeably at all, and it's convenient to have if you ever
20 have something without a full bootscript you want to start, so you might
21 just leave it there. It's up to you.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list