From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Fragmentation (Was: Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:51:59
1 Richard Fish, mused, then expounded:
2 >
3 > Also, I didn't mean to deride xfs or xfs_fsr/fsr_xfs, so please don't
4 > take it personally.
5
6 It's just a problem with perception. Say "defragger" and everyone thinks
7 that Norton Utilites' disk utils have been cloned for Linux. I didn't
8 take it personally, but didn't want others to assume that space compaction
9 would be part of xfs_fsr.
12 > It is the *only* filesystem that offers a online
13 > defrag tool for linux today, and that is a big bonus. My complaint is
14 > more of a wish list than anything else. But it isn't a big enough
15 > wish for me to spend time working on it myself!
18 Well, it does also offer a fairly painless partition copy/restore, which actually
19 works very well, if there is an extra drive around.
22 > But actually, it is with the handling of multi-gigabyte files that I
23 > find it lacking. My VMWare virtual disk images are 10-20G. So if I
24 > don't have at least 20G of free space on a filesystem, I cannot
25 > defragment those. Moreover, since xfs_fsr doesn't consolidate free
26 > space, it is probable that no improvements could be made to those
27 > files even if I have 50G free, since there are likely to be some files
28 > spread out over the disk if the filesystem has been in use for any
29 > length of time.
32 True enough. Though the original customers that xfs_fsr was written for
33 were running multi-terabyte arrays where a 20 GB file was a small single
34 texture. Even those running HDTV editing on a 1P box were working with
35 300 GB of video (15 minutes). Thus they typically had the need for
36 3x the space during editing, but had plenty of free space for defragging
37 the file. Thus the target audience were those with attached raid/jbod
38 arrays.
39
40 But again, I was just attempting to clarify vs. being offended. Apologies
41 if it came across that way.
42
43 Bob
44 -