From: Alejo Sanchez <alejos@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 4GB memory hole, poor BIOS
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:19:36
1 On 11/4/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Alejo Sanchez" <alejos@×××××.com> posted
3 > 3190d0e50611030847h7ac5f0edjb20f44b4fce0b1b0@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:47:41 +0000:
5 >
6 > > Running Gentoo/amd64/hardened with 2.6.17 on an HP DC5100 in EM64T with
7 > > 4GB I've hit a wall on using all the memory, only 3200MB are reported.
8 > > I've googled a lot but couldn't get the missing memory to work.
9 > >
10 > > - the BIOS doesn't do any memory hole remapping, the upgrades available
11 > > only mention cpu microcode support changes - the bios doesn't let me
12 > > disable pci express (some ppl say that's the worst mem addr eater)
13 >
14 > Please turn off that HTML junk you are using. Some people filter posters
15 > who choose to use it out entirely, as spam or malware or the posting of
16 > AOLer types that simply don't care what they spew.
17
18 Hi Duncan.
19
20 Thanks for reminding me the html formatting. Forgot it on, usually I
21 use plain text. About AOLer... you too.
22
23 > If the BIOS won't list it, I don't believe there's a way to get the kernel
24 > to see it. That's that. You can try the BIOS upgrades and see. If they
25
26 Did you read my mail? It doesn't.
27
28 > don't give you the options, write the mobo suppliers and ask them. I know
29 > both Tyan (my mobo maker) and Monarch (the dealer I bought the board and
30 > CPUs thru) were responsive to email. Tyan is one of the better for Linux
31 > support too, but their boards tend to be mid-to-high range, price-wise. I
32 > paid $400+ for my dual Opteron board about three years ago (late 2003),
33 > have upgraded the memory to 8 gig, and will be upgrading it to
34 > dual-cores in 1-6 months, after which I plan on continuing to use it for
35 > another two years minimum, maybe 3-4 years, giving me 5-7 years life off a
36 > single mobo, so the $400 I paid was worth it.
37
38 I really don't care what you like, what you did, what you think is the
39 best thing for Linux. I just asked a question about something likely
40 to be possible to do with the kernel.
41
42 > --
43 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
44 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
45 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 Sheehs, and people complain about Theo on OpenBSD lists...
49
50 Don't bother to reply to the list, I'm unsubscribing already.
51
52 Alejo
53 --
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list