From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 19:44:35
1 On Saturday 06 May 2006 21:18, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > The instructions say to enclose the parameter in quotes, but when I did
3 > that it complained Unknown ""-ay". Omitting the quotes enabled it to
4 > connect to the array (that isn't the word, but I'm not at that screen at
5 > the moment) and give every appearance of knowing what it's doing. But then
6 > when I run fdisk -l I see two 200GB disks /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, not the
7 > single 400GB disk I expect. Clearly, installing to /dev/sda isn't going to
8 > get me very far - not only will it not be the RAID array I want, but I dare
9 > say it'll break the array that the BIOS has created and WinXP is happily
10 > using.
11
12 The raid array will be a different device to the individual disks.
13
14 > I've googled all over the place, looking for clues. That's right - I don't
15 > have any ;-(
16
17 Check dmesg for info, or have a poke around in /dev.
18
19 > Can anyone here help out? Even knowing the format of the name dmraid
20 > expects for an existing array would help, but I can't find anything
21 > anywhere.
22
23 Do you actually need windows to access it too?
24 If not, scrap dmraid, and use plain old linux software raid.
27 Mike Williams
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list