From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 18:03:12
1 On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:34:10 -0400
2 Phil Turmel <philip@××××××.org> wrote:
5 > You may think its absolutely realistic, but the market doesn't agree
6 > with you. Red Hat, SUSE, Canonical, et al call their products
7 > *distributions*, not *operating systems* because their customers don't
8 > want to create their own solutions. They want a collection of software
9 > pieces--kernel, libraries, applications--that solve their (end-user)
10 > problems.
13 Market??? This whole spiel sounds like the snooty squawking of some
14 MBA automaton.
15
16 FOSS is neither market-oriented nor market-driven. In fact, I would
17 hope that all FOSS developers, secretly or otherwise, give the middle-finger
18 salute to all market advocates. FOSS is motivated by a computer science idealism,
19 i.e. what is technically good and proper rules the day and let the market
20 be damned.
21
22 Are we to start judging merit by counting the number of users? Most
23 POS software packages (and I don't mean "point of sale") tend to be
24 quite popular because they cater to total idiots, and such useless statistics
25 would only appeal to a deluded and delirious marketdroid.
26
27 Red Hat, SUSE, Canonical, et. al. should fork off their corporate concerns
28 and leave the FOSS community entirely. Under their direction, we'll soon
29 be having "new and improved" Linux releases every Black Friday to snag
30 all the impulse buyers within the demented Xmas crowd.