From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] keymap broken
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:32:00
Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> I got a newer laptop, and rather than installing gentoo, I just > swapped the hard disks. Now when I boot into the new one, > it works up to the level I am expecting (still need some drivers), but > the keyboard act wierd. When I press "m" it types "0", > and some other keys don't send anything at all. > This issue starts when I start my xdm (configured to start slim). With > the text run level (console), there's no issues until I start and stop > xdm. > > I am not sure if I modified something long time ago in the config, to > use different keymaps, but this issue didn't exist on the older > laptop. > What files could have such a configuration, that I need to look into ? > > Thank you. > >
That may be the laptop itself. My ex did this once. There is a way to put the laptop in numlock mode for entering a lot of numbers. I think it is ALT and something up across the top on the right hand side. I don't think it is a function key but it may be. If yours is anything like my ex's, it will have numlock somewhere on the key. Hers was a different color to match the other key, ALT I think. Just do some color matching on that. Every manufacturer is different but maybe, just maybe this will get you on track to at least finding a solution. If this changes after you have booted, try removing the numlock service from the default runlevel. That may cause the same thing I described above. Most want that on a desktop but not on a laptop. Hope this helps. Dale :-) :-)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] keymap broken Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com>