From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:52:03
1 Pawel Kraszewski wrote:
2 > Dnia wtorek, 31 października 2006 16:59, Daniel Iliev napisał:
5 >> My X is just fine. It is Mr. Sean who has hard time with the X.
6 >> I think gcc version should not have impact on X because NVidia's drivers
7 >> are binary, closed source - they don't care about the gcc used to
8 >> compile the kernel or the X server. Actually I think the emerge only
9 >> installs those drivers and checks for common configuration errors.
12 > No. In this case you'd need new NVidia kernel driver each time kernel's
13 > version changes.
14 >
15 > During installation NVidia's kernel module (in compiler's meaning - .o file
16 > provided by NVidia) is linked against a freshly compiled stub adopting it to
17 > running kernel and making kernel module (in kernel's meaning - .ko file).
18 >
19 > If you compile kernel and kernel module (.ko) with different compilers, you'll
20 > get 'invalid module format' and modprobe/insmod fails.
24 Point taken. You and Mr. Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. are correct.
28 Best regards,
29 Daniel
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list