From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kdepimlibs requiring -kdeprefix?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:37:46
1 On Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 07 January 2009 10:17:56 Mark Haney wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > > > On Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009, Mark Haney wrote:
5 > > >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 > > >>> with kdeprefix everything lands in /usr/kde/<version> which is cool
7 > > >>> and usefull
8 > > >>>
9 > > >>> without kdeprefix everything ends in /usr which is stupid and hurts
10 > > >>> you if you want to try different kde versions - or have several
11 > > >>> versions installed so you can always go back easily when the newest
12 > > >>> one breaks. But it is FHS compliant.
13 > > >>>
14 > > >>> At the beginning gentoo was 'screw stupid standards, do the sensible
15 > > >>> thing' - but in the mean time the 'if there is a standard we have to
16 > > >>> adhere to it no matter how idiotic' crowd has got way to much power.
17 >
18 > I am apparently part of this crowd, but what you are saying seems to have a
19 > large amount of your opinion with a sprinkling of fact. Almost all other
20 > packages install into /usr and it is in fact a Gentoo policy that packages
21 > install into /usr and follow FHS where practical. This has been a policy
22 > for many years...
23 >
24 > Upstream does not support installing into prefixes and this has in fact
25 > made KDE difficult to support in the past, and has led to Gentoo specific
26 > bugs along with issues linking to the right libs etc...
29 kde was once installed into /opt so it wouldn't clutter /usr - which I always
30 liked in the past. KDE didn't clutter /usr like gnome does. That made it easy
31 to find and change everything/something belonging to kde. So when I arrived at
32 gentoo and saw kde going to /usr/kde I was a happy camper.
33
34 At the moment I am using the live ebuilds - and it saved my ass several times,
35 that I can make an easy backup of it (just tar it up) before the next upgrade.
36 Same for the 4.1.8X versions. Heck, in the past, I backed up 3.5 before every
37 version upgrade too, just in case - and it was a good thing to do so.
38
39 Why adhere to a standard that *increases* clutter and makes it harder to have
40 several versions of an app installed?