From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:23:14
1 On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:09 AM, The Doctor<drwho@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >
7 >>    QUESTION: Is there something small, fast but also easy to use in
8 >> terms of the environment automatically creating menus when apps are
9 >> added or removed with emerge?
10 >
11 > I know you mentioned not really wanting to run one of the /*box/ window
12 > managers because you'd run one before, but something just came to mind.
13 >  I ran Openbox for a few years because it fit just the criteria that you
14 > described, and returning to their website I found a page that describes
15 > how to integrate it with Gnome, so you could still use the menus without
16 > having to hand-edit the menu config file.
17
18 Good to know. thanks!
19
20 It's not that I don't want to run one of the /*box/ products. More
21 that I just want a *reasonable* amount of menu management as I install
22 and uninstall apps.
25 > I might try that later, actually.
26 >
27 > You might also want to look into XFCE to see if it'll work the way you
28 > want it to.  I've played with it a little on my media machine but don't
29 > have a whole lot to say about it right now.
30
31 XFCE seems pretty nice. It has a light feel, menus are handled, at
32 least in the sense of the apps I had installed and were showing up in
33 Gnome menus are there in XFCE. I don't like that it doesn't, at least
34 out of the box on my computer, support multiple file drag & drop
35 actions, but maybe it supports that sort of thing through cut & paste.
36 Not sure. (Just thought of that one.)
37
38 I did build EWM (E16 I think) this morning. It's quite interesting, in
39 the sense that there are multiple desktops and things. Very
40 minimalistic. Seems to have a large list of configurations I can do.
41 The problem as an uninformed new user is I have no clue how to even
42 start an app like Firefox! That one will take a bit of study.
43
44 Anyway, I appreciate your ideas and inputs. I'll look at openbox this afternoon.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Mark
50 > - --
51 >
52 > The Doctor [412/724/301/703]
53 >
54 > PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F  DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
55 > WWW: http://drwho.virtadpt.net/
56 >
57 > "Take back, take back, take back the dancefloor!"
58 >