From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 01:44:42
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > As this topic is on-going, let my ask about -fno-stack-protector. I
3 > haven't messed with my build flags in literally years, and certainly
4 > not since I built this machine in 2010 where I only use CFLAGS="-O2
5 > -march=native -pipe" . WRT to -fno-stack-protector does enabling a
6 > flag like that in make.conf then trigger a requirement to rebuild
7 > everything (emerge -e @world) or can one turn it on and just update
8 > the machine package-by-package over time?
9
10 If you _do not_ enable -fno-stack-protector you will get packages
11 updated over time, once you start using 4.8.3+ as your system
12 compiler. Enabling -fno-stack-protector is the way to keep things the
13 same.