From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:19:22
1 > 1. Native framebuffer console resolution on my 1680x1050 widescreen LCD - no
2 > more 1280x1024 stretched! (Actually not sure if this is directly due to the
3 > kernel updates for Intel/KMS, or just happened to happen at the same time,
4 > but still - Yay!)
5
6 You know, I after some trouble I found a VESA code for my also not so standard
7 1440x900, so that vesafb happily provided me with native console since 2.6.27
8 (if not .25) (had a nice program that displayed supported framebuffer modes -
9 what was it ?)
12 > 2. Perfectly fast X/virtual console switching - I mean - Wow! I still, from
13 > time to time, just sit there switching between the two a couple times just
14 > to watch the speed and smoothness - it's amazing...
15 >
16 > -James
17
18 I wonder, what are the negatives of moving modesetting to kernel from
19 userspace ? Will we be loosing some functionality (at least temperarily) ?
20 How will, say, choosing mode on external distplay work ?
25 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
26 Associate Professor University of Alberta
27 tel 1-780-492-2150 11322 - 89 Avenue
28 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2G7, CANADA