From: Allan Wegan <allanwegan@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How much value does llvm provide for a low-use laptop?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 04:07:45
1 >>> Please turn off the HTML posts.
2 >> His post is a multipart message containing an additional plaintext
3 >> version. If you saw the HTML version, your client is broken or
4 >> misconfigured.
5
6 > My client presented both versions as plain text, as arguably it
7 > should (because some broken clients don't send an appropriate plain
8 > text version if they're sending an HTML message).
9
10 The rare cases with no plaintext part can be handled by switching to the
11 source view. That cases are easily detected by the absence of any body
12 text in the plaintext view.
13
14 > But HTML when presented as such in mail or news is simply a
15 > vulnerability vector waiting to be exploited, and plenty of senders
16 > do just that with spyware (web bugs being the simplest) and malware.
17
18 Of course it is. Everything, that gets interpreted in any way, is
19 (including the whole email).
20
21 > So no responsible person will allow HTML mail to be processed and
22 > displayed as such on their machines, which in turn means no
23 > responsible person should choose to send it.
24
25 So you chosed to not process HTML in emails because of the security
26 implications. That is fine (even if it leaves me wondering how the web
27 looks like on your machine).
28
29 I dislike HTML in emails too (mostly because of common convoluted table
30 designs and ugly font/color choices). But others seem to like it and so
31 they use it. They either do not care or come to other conclusions
32 regarding the buggyness of current HTML/image parsers and the uglyness
33 of most HTML mails out there...
34 Fortunately one can chose whether to display that HTML or not - even if
35 some obviously have chosen to not use that freedom.
36
37 HTML mail is all about choice too.
42 Allan Wegan
43 <http://www.allanwegan.de/>
44 Jabber: allanwegan@××××××.net
45 OTR-Fingerprint: E4DCAA40 4859428E B3912896 F2498604 8CAA126F
46 Jabber: allanwegan@××××××××××.de
47 OTR-Fingerprint: A1AAA1B9 C067F988 4A424D33 98343469 29164587
48 ICQ: 209459114
49 OTR-Fingerprint: 71DE5B5E 67D6D758 A93BF1CE 7DA06625 205AC6EC