From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:46:20
1 2009/1/18 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> posted
3 > 49721DB1.6080200@×××××××××××.sg, excerpted below, on Sun, 18 Jan 2009
4 > 02:04:33 +0800:
5 >
6 > FWIW, I too have the fsck service deactivated here, as you do, by setting
7 > the fsck order column in fstab to 0. On reiserfs, which is what I run
8 > here for pretty much everything, it's not really needed anyway, since
9 > reiserfs automatically does pretty much everything it could do in a
10 > normal fsck at mount in any case, and if it's beyond that, it's time for
11 > --rebuild-tree. But I've not had to run that in /ages/, I think since
12 > the kernel got and activated by default data=ordered for reiserfs, and
13 > likely since I've been on Gentoo as well. (IDR which came first,
14 > reiserfs data=ordered or my switch to Gentoo, but I sure do remember
15 > looking forward to each of them! =:^) But, while that eliminates the
16 > (unnecessary for reiserfs) fsck time, because reiserfs can take a bit to
17 > replay the journal if the system crashed or the filesystems were
18 > otherwise not unmounted properly, you may end up with the same problem
19 > under those conditions.
20 >
21 i'd like to know if there's something particular to be aware of
22 disabling fsck on boot with
23 reiserfs and if there are some other things than removing the service
24 from boot runlevel
25 to be aware of.
26 i'm using reiserfs v3.6 revision, r5 hash with ordered data and
27 sometimes i have lockups
28 that force me for unsafe resumes. can this trigger the need for a
29 rebuild tree? and, if you have
30 experiences with it, do you know what could happen without fsck on an
31 unsafely unmounted
32 luks partition?
33
34 thanks.