From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Problems Updating Util-linux and E2fsprogs
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 00:53:28
1 Doing "emerge -pvDu world," I noticed that I needed to update e2fsprogs
2 and e2fsprogs-libs from 1.14.7 to 1.14.8. These are marked as unstable
3 versions but they should cause no problems.
4
5 Also, util-linux was listed as needing updating from 2.15.1 to 2.16.
6
7 Doing "emerge util-linux e2fsprogs-libs e2fsprogs" results in the first
8 two packages being built but the final package, e2fsprogs, fails. The build
9 log reports the following:
10
11 ERROR: sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.8 failed.
12 Call stack:
13 ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_install
14 environment, line 2607: Called gen_usr_ldscript '-a' 'e2p' 'ext2fs'
15 environment, line 1541: Called die
16 The specific snippet of code:
17 [[ -z ${tlib} ]] && die "unable to read SONAME from ${lib}";
18 The die message:
19 unable to read SONAME from libe2p.so
20
21 Now, libe2p.so is supposed to be from the package e2fsprogs-libs, but
22 a check of this package shows that libe2p was not built. This is probably
23 why the build of e2fsprogs fails.
24
25 But checking the ebuild for e2fsprogs-libs, I notice some other, more fundamental,
26 changes. E2fsprogs-libs used to contain libblkid and libuuid, but these
27 shared libraries are now being taken from the package util-linux, which accounts
28 for the requirement to update all three of these packages at the same time.
29 Maybe the fault is with the new util-linux-2.16.
30
31 For the time being, I have reverted back to the previous versions of all
32 three packages.
33
34 Before I try to further investigate the problem, I want to inquire if
35 anyone else has successfully updated these three packages or if anyone
36 else has encountered this same type of build failure.
37
38 Frank Peters