From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:38:12
1 BRM posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:03:02 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Graphically, I notice not difference between the ATI R250 in my laptop
4 > and the nVidia 9600 in my AMD64 Desktop.
5
6 One thing to keep in mind is the relative resolutions. One of the
7 reasons the netbooks do as good as they do with their relatively low
8 performance chips is that the resolution they're dealing with is so much
9 lower as well. Doing 3D on 1024x600 (many gen-2 or later netbooks) or
10 even 800x480 (IIRC, the original EEE) takes **WAY** less muscle than
11 doing the same thing across a big 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 monitor, let
12 alone dual-monitors @ that. Even adding a 1280x1024 or similar external
13 monitor, while it might be a strain for the little netbook chips, doesn't
14 really compare to the typical resolutions a dual monitor setup on a
15 desktop would typically be dealing with.
16
17 It's the same principle that allows a machine to handle STD def TV with
18 ease, that would struggle with a full 1080p HD render, and at the other
19 end, allows tiny cell phones and iPod Video, etc, with their low power
20 chips. to handle video on their equally tiny 300x240 or whatever
21 resolution screens.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman