From: "Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can't connect to internet from Live DVD.
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 03:55:17
1 On 9/20/2013 2:50 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Henry,
3 > In my personal search to find a USB 802.11ac networking adapter I
4 > ran across one additional resource which might help you, or others
5 > laters, in your searches. If you were to run the command 'lspci -nn |
6 > grep Ethernet' as I do here on my desktop: (adjust what you are
7 > grepping for if it's not Ethernet but rather something else)
8 >
9 > c2RAID6 ~ # lspci -nn | grep Ethernet
10 > 05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
11 > 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4364] (rev 12)
12 > 07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
13 > 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4364] (rev 12)
14 > c2RAID6 ~ #
15 >
16 > then you will find both the Ethernet controllers and their associated
17 > PCI vendor & device IDs. In my case for the Marvell controllers the ID
18 > is '11ab:4364'
19 >
20 > If you then go to Google in your browser and put this in the search
21 > area, making sure to remove the colon:
22 >
23 > "11ab 4364" site:cateee.net/lkddb/
24 >
25 > the first result directs you to this page:
26 >
27 > http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SKY2.html
28 >
29 > which gives you information about what kernels support this device.
30 >
31 > This works for both PCI & USB device IDs.
32 >
33 > Hope this helps,
34 > Mark
35 Thanks Mark for the info. It didn't help directly, but your ideas
36 spurred me on to find this:
37
38 https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800pci
39
40 > This page describes how to enable support for WiFi devices based on
41 > Ralink 802.11n PCI chipsets on Debian systems.
44 Which got my Debian/Mate/XFCE install functioning in wireless mode...
45 But probably more important, once again rather verifies that there is a
46 driver problem (with my Ralink) in Gentoo Live DVD...
47
48 You mentioned in a previous msg, that it was possible to install Gentoo
49 from another "live" DVD/C OS... wondering if you know of any how to do
50 links... ?
51
52 Regards,
53 Henry