From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 2.6.16 and >=4G mem
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:18:03
1 Duncan posted <pan.2006.03.26.10.34.46.613270@×××.net>, excerpted below,
2 on Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:34:47 -0700:
3
4 > With kernel 2.6.15, configuring IOMMU won't let me boot (without a mem=
5 > kernel command line). Configuring it in but forcing it off (iommu=off on
6 > the kernel command line) gives me some IOMMU needed errors and it still
7 > won't boot (again, without a mem=). Configuring it out, the system boots
8 > just fine.
9 >
10 > With kernel 2.6.16, configuring IOMMU in or out, on or off, won't boot
11 > (without a mem=).
12
13 For those that may be interested, I think I may have a defective hardware
14 IOMMU. Setting iommu=soft on the kernel command line works just fine.
15 That's a bit disappointing for AMD hardware, where the hardware IOMMU is
16 supposed to be better, but I guess it's no worse than the Intel chips,
17 which don't have an IOMMU so emulate it in software.
18
19 It's still fairly likely that I have something not quite configured
20 correctly, however, and that when I figure it out, it'll work the way
21 it's supposed to. I have some research to do tho, to grok that.
22 Meanwhile, with the iommu=soft switch, I can run 2.6.16 kernels with full
23 memory, just as I could .15 kernels. (The .15 and apparently earlier
24 kernels had bounce-buffers built-in for SCSI, while .16 took them out
25 since there's the IOMMU in either software for Intel, or hardware for
26 normal AMD, anyway.)
27
28 BTW, merged KDE 3.5.2 last nite, upgraded from 3.5.1. That's the first
29 time I've run a major emerge session with $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on a RAM backed
30 tmpfs. VERY NICE! =8^) I /still/ haven't used the full 8 gigabit yet,
31 tho. I got upto 6.5-ish when kmail was compiling, with four other compile
32 jobs running in parallel (5 total), each of which was running
33 MAKEOPTS="-j6 -l5". The -l5 limited load some, and KDE doesn't make as
34 good a use of multiple compile jobs as it could (the reason I was running
35 5 in parallel since the -j6 -l5 doesn't work so well with KDE), but I
36 /was/ running 7-10 load average for several hours (on a dual Opteron 242).
37 Hopefully by the time I'm compiling KDE4, I'll be doing it with dual
38 cores, a bit faster than the 1.6 GHz of the Opteron 242s, as well.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
44 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list