From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with ethernet configuration
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:02:57
1 manuel <kaos@××××××××××××.com> posted 49142617.3060802@××××××××××××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:27:19 +0100:
3
4 > Everything seems to be ok but I sill can't connect to the internet! I've
5 > two Macintosh too in my home net with static ip addresses assigned (both
6 > working!) and I usually use Samba to comunicate beetween them and my
7 > gentoo box. When i'm using static IP on my gentoo box it becomes no more
8 > available on the net, but I can connect from it to the other cmptrs
9 > using Ftp!
10 > I'm really getting mad.....
11
12 You aren't per chance running kernel 2.6.27 on the bad partition, are
13 you? 2.6.27.2 (IIRC) had a fix for TCP option ordering. The relevant
14 RFC says option ordering doesn't matter, but apparently with some broken
15 routers it does. They expect a particular ordering, and break (as in,
16 refuse to pass the packet) if two different options get reversed.
17
18 2.6.26 (and previous, along with all 2.6.26.x updates) used the old code
19 with the accepted (because that's what MS does apparently, and that's
20 what they tested) ordering. 2.6.27 changed the ordering. The defining
21 RFC says it shouldn't matter, but it does to these broken routers.
22 2.6.27.2 (I believe it was) includes a patch returning the order to what
23 it was before, so again, shouldn't be affected.
24
25 I have no idea what those upstream version numbers correspond to for the
26 Gentoo kernel sources package, as I download and compile the mainline
27 kernel.org kernel directly, but if you've updated to 2.6.27, it's quite
28 possible you got the bad update on the one partition, and an either newer
29 or older unaffected version on the other. The pattern described, being
30 able to see the other machines on your LAN but not get to the Internet
31 thru the router, would exactly fit, if you're router's an affected model,
32 anyway.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman