From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is swap need when there is 4g of ram?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 03:44:03
1 On this day, 13-March-2007 10:30 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > So in summary, four reasons to keep swap enabled:
3 >
4 > 1) Old kernels needed it for memory zone management. (N/A for a decently
5 > modern kernel, say 2.6.16 or newer.)
6 >
7 > 2) Memory mapped file flexibility.
8 >
9 > 3) tmpfs based PORTAGE_TMPDIR and friends is generally a MUCH more
10 > efficient use of several gigs of memory than turning off swap, but until
11 > you have I'd say 6 gigs memory minimum, you'll want to keep swap enabled
12 > if you do it.
13 >
14 > 4) Suspend to disk, aka hibernate, uses swap.
15 >
16 > #3 and possibly #4 are the important ones.
17 >
18 > OTOH, disabling swap entirely, by turning off that config option in
19 > kernel setup before compiling it, DOES significantly simplify kernel code
20 > and memory management. This was in fact the reason I had it off back
21 > when I had only a gig of memory. I had system stability issues due to
22 > unstable memory hardware (cheap memory) at the time, and I figured the
23 > less complicated kernel memory management was, the more stable the system
24 > was likely to be. I don't know if it made much of a difference, but it
25 > definitely wasn't LESS stable. (The memory zone issues did apply back
26 > then, but my hardware simply wasn't stable enough for that to be much of
27 > an issue.)
28
29 Thank you to all for advising on the swap issue. The information is very
30 useful and has helped me to make a decision. I am happy.
31
32 For the record, I am going with swap file of 4g.
33
34 Once again thank you all for the advice.
35
36 P.V.Anthony
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list