From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xorg-server upgrade
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 10:19:53
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 49B20B46.4070309@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Sat, 07 Mar 2009
3 00:51:02 -0500:
4
5 > Well I upgraded my xorg-server from 1.3.0 to 1.5.3 (masked) in order to
6 > overcome some of the KDE4.2 blocks I was encountering (for some
7 > particular kde4.2 package, which escapes me for the moment.
8 >
9 > So I ungraded, updated my ati driver (I use the radeon driver not one
10 > from ATI) and now my X server won't start. It says 'X server died on
11 > start up' and 'Can't start display on 0:0' or something similar, I'm
12 > writing this on the same box from a different OS. What next? How do I
13 > fix this?
14
15 I don't believe 1.5.3 is masked, only ~arch. Unless that's what you
16 meant by masked... Now xorg-server-1.6.0, if it were in the tree (it's
17 in the xorg overlay not the tree at this point), would be masked, as
18 there are still some issues with it, including that some of its
19 dependencies don't have sufficient released versions yet, it requires git-
20 live builds for some of them.
21
22 There were a LOT of changes in the way things worked between 1.3.x and
23 1.5.x. I STRONGLY suspect that your xorg.conf file simply isn't
24 configured correctly for the newer version, thus X dies when you try to
25 start it.
26
27 What input drivers are you using? It /may/ be as simple as adding the
28 following line to the ServerFlags section (you may use "false" or "off"
29 instead of "0" if you prefer):
30
31 Option "AllowEmptyInput" "0"
32
33 The reason is that xorg now ignores the xorg.conf configured input
34 drivers and tries to hotplug them (using hal) if you don't tell it not
35 to. Except, the hotplug will try to use the newer evdev driver which you
36 may not have the INPUT_DEVICES setup for, instead of the older keyboard
37 and mouse drivers which you likely have installed and configured in
38 xorg.conf, if you are updating from a suitably old xorg configuration.
39
40 Now, if your keyboard and mouse settings are vanilla enough, you can
41 switch to the evdev driver and just let xorg-server hotplug it, no
42 problem. However, if you have something other than a generic 102-key (or
43 whatever) keyboard or a standard mouse, the evdev driver will need
44 additional configuration or you'll lose that additional functionality and
45 just have the generic functionality. The problem is that the hal
46 hotplugging configuration isn't all that clearly documented yet,
47 especially for all the permutations of hardware special features out
48 there, so it may be difficult actually finding instructions for doing
49 that configuration if you need it.
50
51 The other option, easier if you already had a working configuration using
52 the existing keyboard and mouse (or other inputdev) drivers, and just
53 want it to work like it did before, is to put the line above in the
54 serverflags section of xorg.conf, so it actually honors the xorg.conf
55 input device configuration.
56
57 The other thing that may have changed, depending on what version of
58 xf86-video-ati you are running, is that the newer configuration (from
59 version 6.8 at least, 6.6 was still the old way) is all RandR based. For
60 a normal single-monitor system, it should still work with little problem,
61 but for a dual-monitor or more system, again, there's configuration
62 changes you'll need to work thru. This is the part that was hardest for
63 me, since I effectively punted on figuring out the inputdev stuff by
64 simply adding the line above in the appropriate place.
65
66 But that's rather more complex. If the above added line doesn't fix it,
67 post your Xorg.0.log, xorg.conf, and the output of an
68 emerge --pretend --verbose xorg-server xf86-video-ati xf86-input-<driver>
69 (whichever ones you use).
70
71 Meanwhile, all these changes are to make it ideally "just work", for most
72 people. Most people will have all the various drivers already installed
73 or available, and xorg-server and hal are normally able to detect which
74 drivers are needed and configure them appropriately -- provided nothing
75 goes wrong and the hardware isn't too exotic. If you have the evdev
76 driver available already, are content with a generic keyboard and mouse
77 setup, and either don't have multiple monitors or aren't too particular
78 about what orientation and resolution they end up in, it's quite possible
79 you can run without an xorg.conf entirely, now.
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman