From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wifi adaptor recommendations
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 01:00:18
1 Duncan posted on Mon, 06 Jun 2016 05:25:14 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > FWIW just did a speed test at the hotel's complimentary wifi level,
4 > which is what I'm using. 1.3 Mbps down, 1.0 Mbps up. I'm streaming
5 > youtube ATM, just fine @ 360p, eyeballing it at ~500-600 kbps average.
6 > Upping to 480p triggers buffering, so obviously won't be doing much
7 > 1080p the next 2-3 months, but 360p's not too bad @ the complimentary
8 > level, I suppose.
9
10 FWIW, I've been streaming nearly constantly for near 24 hours now, and as
11 long as I keep it to 360p and thus under 1 Mbps average, it's
12 surprisingly stable. The hotel has multiple access points, apparently
13 enough that wifi bandwidth isn't seriously contested, and that 1 Mbit
14 average (allowing 1.3 Mbit for short bursts) level would appear to be a
15 deliberate per-user cap.
16
17 Rather better than I had feared and definitely survivable. =:^)
18 Tho of course at least 720p streaming, which would extrapolate to 5Mbps,
19 would be nice...
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman