From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] processor @ 100% when compilig...
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:03:26
1 Patric Douhane <patric@×××××.se> skribis:
2 > Hi, watched the system when it compiled, processor @ 99-100%, RAM
3 > ~20%, is this normal? Also what is the swap mem for, it used only
4 > about 200K, out of 500M.....
5
6 Your processor is eager to do work! :)
7
8 Swap is ‘emergency memory’ if you run out of RAM. Linux kernels don’t
9 use swap much, and some programs that might need swap space, such as
10 GIMP, prefer to maintain their own swap files (I guess so they don’t
11 use up RAM that other programs could use). It’s good if your aren’t
12 using much swap.
13
14 Having some swap space is something I do mainly because I am
15 obsessive-compulsive (literally). :)
18 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
19 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
20 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
21 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)