From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 22:50:36
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 10:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I understand this all then systemd, in it's current state, is going
5 >> to require removing udev as a stand-along package, will remove
6 >> sysvinit as systemd provides /sbin/init, and will also replace OpenRC
7 >> with it's own code for starting and stopping services? It's a big
8 >> change but it's one of the reasons why I built the backup install on
9 >> the SSD. None of this really touches my spinning rust install I use
10 >> daily.
11 >>
12 > Two systems - one upgraded to systemd, one new install with systemd:
13 > Two kernels for each system: - "CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD=y" is
14 > enabled on one kernel for each system and "
15 > #CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD is not set" disabled on one kernel for
16 > each system
17 > Both kernels boot for each system.
18 > Systemd initializes gentoo for the systemd enabled kernels
19 > Openrc initializes gentoo for the systemd disabled kernels
20 > BTW Gnome 3.8 runs on both systemd initialized and openrc initialized
21 > systems.
22 >
23 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
24 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/upgrade
25 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/3.8-upgrade-guide
29 Again, not enough time to study the docs yet, and I personally think
30 it was very clear from the title that this whole conversation is very
31 exploratory. Like Duncan, when I start to get the bug to look at
32 something down the road I know I'm gonna do it if for no other reason
33 than just to try it out.
34
35 All of that in mind the above comments about two kernels coupled with
36 Canek & Rich's comments about keeping parallel settings (I'll have to
37 go think about that) makes a lot of sense and is likely the way I'll
38 go.
39
40 If nothing else, I could always just do a systemd-based install from
41 scratch if I botch all of this somehow but I doubt that will happen.
42 Doing it in a VM is a possibility also. I've wanted to study LVM a bit
43 so maybe that's the way to try this out.
44
45 Thanks to all that have answered. I'll read anything else that comes
46 along but I've gotten lots of great thoughts and hints. Cheers to all.
47
48 - Mark