From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't connect to internet from Live DVD.
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:46:30
1 Duncan posted on Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:27:41 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Henry W. Peters posted on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400 as excerpted:
4 >
5 >> One other thing I have been meditating upon, is that I have a UEFI
6 >> bios... (Windows 8), I did install an MBR on the external disk, with
7 >> grub on it... & when I boot, in legacy mode, from it... grub works...
8 >> so thinking I might be able to update grub, after the Gentoo install, &
9 >> (hopefully) use grub to load the Gentoo system... Grub would not
10 >> install in the UEFI, & the directions to boot from it, with Linux, are
11 >> a bit complex for me at this stage... (will try to work that out too,
12 >> eventually).
13 >
14 > You don't mention what version of grub you're talking about. I haven't
15 > used grub's UEFI modes personally (see below), but grub2 is supposed to
16 > fully support it, and definitely CAN install in the UEFI reserved
17 > partition.
18
19 ... And immediately after sending that, I checked the gentoo-dev
20 list/group (subscribed via gmane.org's list2news service, so it's a
21 newsgroup to me, just as this list is), and find this new thread:
22
23 Subject: News item: GRUB2 migration
24
25 [quoting from the body]
26
27 GRUB2 will be stabilized soon (bug 455544). Here's a draft of a news
28 item to hopefully prevent any confusion. Please review.
29
30 ------------
31
32 Title: GRUB2 migration
33 Author: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
34 Content-Type: text/plain
35 Posted: 2013-09-22
36 Revision: 1
37 News-Item-Format: 1.0
38 Display-If-Installed: <sys-boot/grub-1
39
40 A newer version of GRUB (sys-boot/grub) is now stable. There are now
41 two available slots:
42
43 sys-boot/grub:0 - Known as "GRUB Legacy"
44 sys-boot/grub:2 - Known as "GRUB2"
45
46 [end quote, there's more, including links to migration guides, etc]
47
48 Here's the gmane web-version archived-message link (there's a link to the
49 topic/thread on the left, if you want to see the full thread):
50
51 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/88209
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman