From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:18:21
1 I supported about 250 gentoo vm's using about 30 SAS 15K rpm 144GB
2 drives awhile back. Drives were split into 14 disk RAID10 sets. Then
3 each RAID10 set was split it into 200-500GB virtual drives, and the
4 virtual machines were grouped into sets of 3-5 and matched with a
5 virtual drive. Virtual machines on the same virtual drive were setup
6 to use thin provisioning, so that only used up as much storage space
7 as their data differed from the canonical gentoo os image which was
8 usually less than 20%. The virtual drives were usually only 30-50%
9 full and we could virtually provision 2TB+ of virtual machines on a
10 single 500GB virtual drive.
11
12 Don't underestimate what you can do with small drives, especially if
13 they are fast and you have a lot of them....
14