From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Modular X upgrade fonts
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:16:24
1 Thanks for the info, but that didn't work. For some reason the EXACT
2 same config file that was at least giving 1024x768 is now not even
3 giving me a display. So far my experience with X7 has been one of
4 frustration. But then if I do get it working, I'll know more about.
5 And that's not a bad thing.
8 -----Original Message-----
9 From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Duncan
10 Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:24 AM
11 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
12 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Modular X upgrade fonts
13
14 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
15 44AD03AD.4000603@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 06 Jul 2006
16 08:35:57 -0400:
17
18 > I just upgraded to X7 and my fonts and desktop settings are all
19 screwed
20 > up. My font size is way too big compared to what it was before. I
21 just
22 > spend a couple of hours fixing my xorg.conf file since it seems that
23 > fglrxconfig didn't completely create my config file and i had to rip
24 what
25 > was needed off my old file. Has anyone else seen this strangeness?
26 > I'm running KDE 3.5.2.
27
28 This isn't an uncommon problem with an X upgrade, particularly if the
29 i2c/ddc/edid info on your monitor doesn't come thru or isn't accurate,
30 as
31 the default dpi seems to change between versions. The cure is to to set
32
33 "DisplaySize xxx yyy" in your Section "Monitor", where xxx/yyy are the
34 dimensions of your monitor (viewable area) in mm. That allows X to
35 accurately calculate your dpi instead of just guessing. Since I've done
36 that, I've had no more surprise changes!
37
38 (Note that certain exotic setups, such as my merged-framebuffer dual
39 monitor on a Radeon 9250 card running the xorg native libreware drivers,
40 may have a different way to set it. In my case, the merged framebuffer
41 takes its own separate setting, Option MergedDPI xxx yyy under the
42 appropriate Section "Device", with xxx/yyy now being dots per inch, 100
43 in
44 my case, rather than screen dimensions.)
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list