From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Compiler Flag -m64 Gives Warning
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:03:29
1 On Samstag 25 April 2009, Frank Peters wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:14:21 +0000 (UTC)
3 >
4 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > Second, I'll mention what has become my favorite under-appreciated
6 > > portage feature, FEATURES=buildpkg. This creates binpkgs (in /usr/
7 > > portage/package by default, see the make.conf and portage manpages for
8 > > details on changing this and other settings) of everything you emerge.
9 > > Total additional space required, 3-4 gigs (you can do it in 2 gigs but
10 > > it's tight). But after you've accumulated binpkgs of everything on your
11 > > system, if you upgrade something and it doesn't work, no sweat, just
12 > > emerge --pkgonly the old working version.
13 >
14 > This is something that I will definitely implement. Most updates should
15 > be unproblematic, but it's always good to have some insurance.
16 >
17 > What I would really like to have, though, is a way to get portage to
18 > recognize packages that I have installed myself.
19
20 there is. You have to read the handbook. Or man 5 portage
21
22 package.provided
23 A list of packages (one per line) that portage should
24 assume have been provided. Useful for porting
25 to non-Linux systems. Basically, it's a list that
26 replaces the emerge --inject syntax.
27
28 For example, if you manage your own copy of a 2.6
29 kernel, then you can tell portage that 'sys-ker-
30 nel/development-sources-2.6.7' is already taken care of
31 and it should get off your back about it.
32
33 Portage will not attempt to update a package that is
34 listed here unless another package explicitly
35 requires a version that is newer than what has been
36 listed. Dependencies that are satisfied by pack-
37 age.provided entries may cause installed packages
38 satisfying equivalent dependencies to be removed by
39 emerge(1) --depclean actions (see the ACTIONS section
40 of the emerge(1) man page for more informa-
41 tion).
42
43 Virtual packages (virtual/*) should not be specified in
44 package.provided. Depending on the type of
45 virtual, it may be necessary to add an entry to the
46 virtuals file and/or add a package that satisfies
47 a virtual to package.provided.