From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:36:37
1 I was never fond of split ebuilds, because I found you end up installing
2 almost everything anyway but managing them becomes much more cumbersome.
3 Bad example is X - I do not have qualification anyway to decide that I need
4 this library but not that one, and it seems that every single library comes in
5 it own ebuild, so you start to wonder why not compile each C program individually.
6
7 Saying that, I found KDE 3.5.10 split extremely well thought through and
8 really useful. It is organzied in well defined (and not too numerous) meta
9 blocks which contain pieces of service packages (like kioslaves) that are
10 relevant to this block, kdebase-meta is fully functional minimalist
11 installation, and extra apps that you may need are very intuitive to find.
12
13 So kudos to developers on that.
14
15 > Good input.
16 >
17 > QUESTION: I've been somewhat unhappy over the last year with Gentoo
18 > package maintainers doing little updates to gnome files which seems to
19 > drive more and more little updates. Granted, I could mask things,
20 > etc., but I've found it frustrating. I've worried with KDE that it's
21 > so big I'll find myself updating files pretty much all the time. Is
22 > this warranted or just me worrying?
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Mark
30 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
31 Associate Professor University of Alberta
32 tel 1-780-492-2150 11322 - 89 Avenue
33 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2G7, CANADA