From: Bob Slawson <bslawson@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [OT] Drive asignments for sata drives
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:44:13
1 P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > Is there a way to fix the drive assignment for sata drives?
3 >
4 > Currently in the fstab the boot and root partitions are set and
5 > working great. Once a new sata drive connected, the drive assignments
6 > change. Initially the / (root) is /dev/sda2. Once another sata drive
7 > is added the / (root) becomes say /dev/sdb2.
8 >
9 > Is there any way that this can be fixed even when more drives are
10 > added or removed?
11 Use disk labels to symbolically name partitions so that you don't need
12 to use explicit special device names.
13
14 `tune2fs -L <label name>' adds a disk label to a partition (at least for
15 ext2/3 file systems).
16
17 Then in /etc/fstab use entries along these lines (assuming you've
18 labeled the boot partition 'BOOT' and the root partition 'ROOT'...) :
19
20 #------------------- (example) -----------------
21
22 LABEL=BOOT /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
23 LABEL=ROOT / ext3 defaults 0 1
24
25 LABEL=fortknox /precious_data ext3 defaults,ro 0 1
26
27 # use LABELs for pluggable media since the special devices may change
28 # MS DOS disk labels must be 11 characters and all upper case
29 LABEL=Backup /mnt/Backup auto
30 defaults,users,noauto 0 0
31
35 I'd guess that there are ways to add labels to non-ext2/3 file systems
36 (reiserfs, xfs, ...) but I haven't tried.
37
38 As always: read `man tune2fs' and `man mount'.
39
40 BobS
41
42 PS. This isn't an amd64 issue.