From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CD drive opening on boot!!
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:02:38
1 Paul Hartman posted on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:06:23 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> Hi all,
6 >> I have a strange problem that started happening a few days ago. When I
7 >> boot the machine, the CD/DVD tray partially opens about an inch and
8 >> stays open until manually closed.
9 >> I have just noticed that it opens again on shutdown.
10 >
11 > May be a stupid suggestion, but check that the cable is attached
12 > securely at both ends, and maybe try replacing it. I had very similar
13 > weirdness on a CD-ROM drive in the past because of a faulty IDE cable.
14 >
15 > The "please use bus_type methods" messages can be ignored. I think
16 > everyone gets those.
17
18 I don't get that message, AFAIK. It sounds to me like your udev and
19 kernel version may be getting a bit out of sync. I'm on ~amd64 (and
20 working on ~x86 for my AA1 netbook I'm finally doing the Gentoo install
21 on...), and always run at least the latest release kernel, 2.6.32 ATM, if
22 I'm not testing live git kernels. As such I'm running udev-149 presently.
23
24 The emerge --info gave the OP's kernel as 2.6.30 (which is long ago
25 history for me), and udev-146-r1 is the latest amd64 stable but there are
26 older ones in the tree and it might not be updated to the latest. I'd
27 suggest updating to at least that if you haven't already, and perhaps
28 considering ~arch, and see if that gets rid of the messages.
29
30 It could also be hdparm or the like, if you have it set to run as a
31 system service. epkginfo says hdparm-9.20 is latest stable. Running
32 ~amd64, I'm running hdparm-9.27.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman