From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] linux32 or chroot
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:57:53
1 You don't need anything, but emulation libraries installed to RUN precompiled
2 32 bit apps. More footwork is needed only if you want to compile 32 bit apps
3 yourself.
6 > What usually works better for installing x86 programs, linux32 or
7 > creating a chroot 32 environment?
8 > I am guessing it is a bit of both.
9 >
10 > My main goal is to get some of my old Loki games running.
11 >
12 > Using the linux32 command I have had success with...
13 > -Railroad Tycoon and patches, needed the patches to start
14 > -Alpha Centauri, though the patch will not install, the game starts
15 > -SimCity 3000 is kicking me hard, it installs, but not completely, seems
16 > to be missing some files, including the executable. Patch has problems
17 > because it cant find all the needed files of the install.
18 > -and a few other games I have yet to try.
19 >
20 > So would a chroot environment perhaps help with the problem apps?
21 > I am sure I am not the first on this path, so how have some you done who
22 > have tried these games?
23 >
24 > Thanks
25 > Sean
26 > --
27 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
32 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
33 Associate Professor University of Alberta
34 tel 1-780-492-2150 412 Avadh Bhatia Physics Labs
35 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2J1, CANADA
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list