From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Compaq Presario V6420US
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:24:13
1 4311 PCI-E Supported for kernel 2.6.20.6 and laterthis is from the official
2 bcm43xx supported devices.
3 so the steps that you have to do to make it work is:
4 1. download a kernel >= 2.6.20.6 (the 2.6.23 is the latest and i recommend
5 it since it's good on my laptop)
6 2. go to /usr/src/linux and do a make menuconfig
7 3. go to "Networking-> Wireless" and select as modules:
8 <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack
9 (mac80211) │ │
10 │ │ [*] Enable LED
11 triggers
12 │ │
13 │ │ [*] Export mac80211 internals in
14 DebugFS │ │
15 │ │ [*] Enable debugging
16 output
17 │ │
18 │ │ [*] Verbose debugging
19 output
20 │ │
21 │ │ [*] Debug frame
22 dumping
23 │ │
24 │ │ [*] TKIP
25 debugging
26 │ │
27 │ │ [*] Extra statistics for TX/RX
28 debugging │ │
29 │ │ [*] Support for IBSS
30 testing
31 │ │
32 │ │ [*] Verbose powersave mode
33 debugging
34 then
35 <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking
36 Stack │ │
37 │ │ [*] Enable full debugging
38 output
39 │ │
40 │ │ --- IEEE 802.11 WEP encryption (
41 802.1x) │
42
43 │ │ <M> IEEE 802.11i CCMP
44 support
45 │ │
46 │ │ <M> IEEE 802.11i TKIP
47 encryption
48 │ │
49 │ │ <M> Software MAC add-on to the
50 IEEE 802.11 networking stack │
51
52 │ │ [*] Enable full debugging
53 output
54 the second is fundamental and also the MAC add-on to the IEEE 802.11 is.
55 then go up two times and go to "Device drivers->Network device
56 support->Wireless LAN" and select:
57 [ ] Wireless LAN (pre-802.11)
58 │ │
59 │ │ [*] Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11)
60 and
61 <M> Broadcom BCM43xx wireless
62 support
63 │ │
64 │ │ [*] Broadcom BCM43xx debugging
65 (RECOMMENDED) │
66
67 │ │ BCM43xx data transfer mode
68 (DMA + PIO) --->
69 then, exit, save the new kernel config, and do a make && make
70 modules_install && make install && emerge ati-drivers (or nvidia-drivers)
71 truecrypt (and whatever modules you've compiled from portage. they need to
72 be reinstalled for the new kernel)
73 this will rebuild kernel, rebuild the modules compiled with portage. then
74 you have to download the firmware (wlapsta.o version 3
75 http://svit.epfl.ch/stuff/wl_apsta.o ) and then install the bcm43xx-fwcutter
76 (the package is in portage).
77 go to the directory where you've downloaded the wl_apsta.o and do a
78 bcm43xx-fwcutter wl_apsta.o and then mv *.fw /lib/firmware && chmod +r+x
79 /lib/firmware/*.fw
80 now all that is left to do is reboot and have the kernel load the bcm43xx
81 module and make the wireless work.
82 if you experience any problems let me know.
83