From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT - graphic card for dual-monitor high-resolution graphic station
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:43:42
1 Piotr Pruszczak wrote:
2 > It should perfectly work with dual-monitor configuration, my customer
3 > wants to try me to configure machine for uStation-J (Bentley GIS
4 > software)
5 >
6 > Price is NOT so important. Problem is this should WORK good @
7 > high-resolutions, full colours && optimum performance on 64-bit system.
8 >
9 > Do you have any ideas ??
10 I am using an nVidia 6600GT with dual DVI outputs, TwinView and the
11 nVidia binary driver. It has improved a lot in the last year and is now
12 very stable (this was not always the case for me at least). I use it
13 with two 17" TFTs at 1280x1024 and it works great. I couldn't afford 21"
14 TFTs with 1600x1200 displays and so I really cannot comment on that. I
15 do use a laptop with ATI drivers that do not perform very well at all
16 for me and I am currently using the open driver again.
17
18 So my recommendation would have to be nVidia 6600GT or above with dual
19 DVI outputs. Neither cards really have decent open source drivers that
20 will provide satisfactory 3D performance as far as I know.
21
22 If I could get it then I would buy an open card, but nothing exists
23 right now...
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list