From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Wine on AMD64?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:34:18
1 On Jan 20, 2008 11:16 AM, Stratos Psomadakis <el05007@×××××××××.gr> wrote:
2 >
3 > O/H Mark Knecht έγραψε:
4 > > On Jan 20, 2008 10:46 AM, Stratos Psomadakis <el05007@×××××××××.gr> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> O/H Mark Knecht έγραψε:
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >>> Hi,
10 > >>> I got interested in looking at Wine again this week. Netflix has
11 > >>> changed their over the net policies for watching movies, changing it
12 > >>> for a specific number of hours per month to an unlimited service. I
13 > >>> haven't used the service much in the past (watched maybe 40 hours over
14 > >>> the last year) because it required me to both go into Windows AND use
15 > >>> Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. With an unlimited watching
16 > >>> policy it now becomes far more interesting to me if it could work in
17 > >>> Linux.
18 > >>>
19 > >>> With a lot of forum threads about how much better Wine has gotten
20 > >>> on games I thought I'd give it a try. I emerged the newest stable
21 > >>> version of Wine, downloaded Internet Explorer 7.0 and tried to get it
22 > >>> started. The immediate result was Wine failed to install IE7. I looked
23 > >>> around the WineHQ site but didn't find much specific on Wine in a
24 > >>> 64-bit environment so I'm wondering if many people here are using it
25 > >>> that way and what the tricks are these days to actually getting
26 > >>> something to work AND work well?
27 > >>>
28 > >>> Even if IE7 works then I'll have to see if the NetFlix integrated
29 > >>> player works. I suspect it won't but I'm taking this one step at a
30 > >>> time.
31 > >>>
32 > >>> Thanks,
33 > >>> Mark
34 > >>>
35 > >>>
36 > >> i use wine on amd64, without any major problems...
37 > >> i use it for playing some old games i have,without having to switch to
38 > >> windoze...
39 > >>
40 > >> guitar pro 5 also plays well...
41 > >>
42 > >> if anything goes wrong, i check the appdb in winehq.org...
43 > >> usually there are guides and howtos to work around the problem...
44 > >>
45 > >>
46 > >>
47 > >
48 > > Thanks for the info. That's good to know and it sounds like you're not
49 > > doing much of anything AMD64 specific?
50 > >
51 > > Also, if you are using the newest version of Wine have you ever tried
52 > > setting it up from scratch with your apps instead of relying on
53 > > existing .wine directories? It seems to me that the wine developers
54 > > often want it both ways. They say that an app works, but it turns out
55 > > it works only with either an older version of Wine or a new version of
56 > > Wine but only with an older, prexisting .wine directory. When I go to
57 > > set up the same app on a new machine from scratch I cannot duplicate
58 > > what the AppDB says.
59 > >
60 > > Just my experience.
61 > >
62 > > Thanks again!
63 > >
64 > > Cheers,
65 > > Mark
66 > > �ιν'�¦w�%�Λl�ιν'�+�f'�)ΰ�+-
67 > well...
68 > i have never tried to set it up from scratch...so i don't know what
69 > happens...
70 > winecfg doesn't help?
71 >
72 > what do you mean amd64 specific?
73
74 I don't think winecfg helps. Looking in the AppDB it seems that IE7
75 doesn't install for anyone that I can find so far.
76
77 I just meant Wine on AMD64, i.e. - the machines on this list. My
78 interest in using Wine for NetFlix will be multimedia intensive, so it
79 will likely require codec and stuff like that to work well. Much of
80 that stuff hardly works on 32-bit Linux. I was interested in whether
81 power users, not dummies like me, we able to get good results. If they
82 can then possibly by trying hard someone like me might. If they can't
83 then I know I never will.
84
85 Thanks,
86 Mark