From: Robert Walter <ro-wa@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 01:44:33
1 On Saturday 06 May 2006 22:18, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Can anyone here help out? Even knowing the format of the name dmraid expects
3 > for an existing array would help, but I can't find anything anywhere.
4
5 i had the same problem like you. dualboot gentoo & xp on a software raid chipset. (nforce4 in my case)
6 unfortunately i didn't log all the steps needed to set it up :-( ,
7 but i can give you my modified scripts (written by gerte hoogewerf) and all the info i have to create an initrd if you want to give it a try.
8 that ram disk "initializes" the raid files in /dev/mapper/*, before it is mounted
9 sorry, i don't have all in mind right now. i have to replay the installation steps first.
10 some basic things i still know. you need
11 - dmraid-1.0.0.rc9 (or what is current now) and busybox
12 use that together with gertes scripts to create the initrd
13 - initial ram disk and device mapper support in kernel
14 - your grub.conf needs an entry like
15 title Gentoo Linux 2.6.15-r1 (reiser4, +marvel 1gbit ethernet)
16 root (hd0,0)
17 kernel /kernel-2.6.15-reiser4-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_eabdggea2 dodmraid vga=0x317 splash=0
18 initrd (hd0,0)/initramfs
19 that should do it (more or less ;-) )
20 best regards robert
21
22 ps. there is no xp anymore on the box, but the nvraid is still on without any problems (although most of the partitions are reiser4!)
23 like all the other guys suggested, just use it if you want that raid used on a m$ os. go the linux way otherwise.
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list