From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [SOLVED?] Re: KMS can't find firmware
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 02:02:21
1 On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Sebastian Beßler
2 <sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Am 11.12.2009 21:06, schrieb Duncan:
4 >>
5 >> You found the solution and posted it yourself before I could get to
6 >> it! =:^)
7 >
8 > Most of the time it is for me:
9 > Search and try to solve it alone for hours, give up, post here, search
10 > and try again, find the solution.
11 > It is like a curse ;-)
12 >
13 >> I don't personally run an initramfs/initrd, so I can't say whether
14 >> putting the radeon firmware there would work or not
15 >
16 > I never used a initramfs/initrd before and do my best to never have to
17 > use one. Mostly because it is to much work and I don't know how to build
18 > one to beginn with.
19 > But putting it in one should work, as far as I read.
20
21 Setting the option FIRMWARE="yes" in genkernel.conf will automatically
22 copy the firmware from /lib/firmware to your initrd. FWIW, creating
23 an initrd is as difficult as typing 'genkernel initramfs' and using
24 the correct grub parameters. You don't even need a new one for every
25 kernel, depending on whats changed.
26
27 Wil