From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 03:03:21
On Mon, 7 May 2012 09:34:58 -0400
Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:

> > The Seagate drive has already been returned to the seller. > I am expecting a Western Digital Elements 2TB USB HDD to > arrive in a few days. If this new drive also fails then I > will post more information. >
I just want to follow up on my previous posts for the sake of anyone who may be interested. The Western Digital Elements 2TB USB HDD arrived and it works with Linux right out of the box. The extra modules needed are sg and usb-storage, assuming that all the usb core stuff is built into the kernel. The drive is pre-formatted with a ntfs filesystem, but using cfdisk I re-partitioned the drive and formatted the new partitions with ext3. Everything works nicely. This WD drive is USB 2.0, whereas the non-functional Seagate was USB 3.0. Whether or not this can explain the problem I cannot say. Thanks again to all who responded. Frank Peters